I always dread cleaning out/organizing my closet. My first thought is “where the fuck do I even begin?”, and then hits the shit you don’t want to get rid of that has “sentimental value” to it. Fuck that, you have to get rid of it cause then you’ll turn into a hoarder. But it’s okay something’s are meant to keep but not everything!
Here’s some of the things I do to get out of the way when it comes to cleaning out my closet :
GET RID OF ANY SHOE BOXES
GET RID OF ANY PLASTIC BINS
GET RID OF UNNECESSARY SHOPPING BAGS
^ When I get rid of any of these items I realize how much more space I have in my closet and how much of it was being occupied by things that were practically meant for the trash!
To organize my closet I begin with these 3 steps:
- Examine all the clothing pieces that you own
- Get 2 bins
- 1 bin is for items that you don’t want to own and then others are the ones you want to keep.
WHAT DO I DO WITH THE CLOTHES I DON’T WANT?
- There’s so many things that you can do with your unwanted clothes:
- Donate them to Goodwill/Salvation Army
- Sell them online
^ There are many great apps that you can sell your used clothes/shoes and make some money off of them. There’s this one app that I use to sell clothes that I want to get rid of which is called Poshmark. Poshmark is a great app that you can not only sell clothing/shoes that you don’t want anymore but you can also shop and it’s a great community full of bloggers as well.
- The trash can will always be your bestfriend when it comes to getting rid of things.
ORGANIZING THE CLOSET
HOW DO I START ?
I begin to organize my clothes on what the style of the item and with each item I color coordinate them from light – dark.
. It’s easier for me to start with what I use daily which gives me an easier access to grab what I need and go.
- I love to start with my blouses, blazers (where I work I tend to wear those more so I like to have them at an easy reach) street-style t-shirts, jackets & coats (I live in Florida we barely use them but if I want to be an extra bitch and if it goes with the outfit I’ll use it),
- Each type of clothing goes color coordinated. I love to color coordinate my clothes because, it give a more clean & organized look to my closet. It also gives me a better view of what I have to pick out an outfit easier.
- Shoes are probably the easiest thing to do when it comes to organizing/cleaning out your closet.
- I typically only buy neutral/black heels. For some reason I think I never own enough.
- I put out on display my favorites and most used shoes.
BEFORE & AFTER
- By removing things that were a waste of space and items I didn’t even use anymore that were only collecting dust, makes my closet look open and easier to combine an outfit together when I’m on the go.
I am an extremely hard working procrastinator and the fact that I finally decided to get off my ass and organize my closet is the best feeling ever. A girls second home is her closet and sometimes the closet needs some TLC. It is a bit time consuming deciding certain things that bring sentimental value when it comes to getting rid of clothes/shoes etc. BUT THE OUTCOME IS SO WORTH IT ! Hopefully these tips helps you guys decide on how to get organized in your closets!